Help your client learn a new skill from home, or at a nearby community centre with the help of a Hero
Home Care Heroes are a lending a helping hand to community members who are over 50 and looking to learn new technology skills. The Be Connected program contains free courses on everything from how to access the internet, using your device and keeping in touch with others online.
Be Connected is an Australia wide initiative empowering all Australians to thrive in a digital world. They have online learning resources as well as a Network of community partners - the Be Connected Network - who offer in-person support so you can develop your digital skills and confidence.
What you'll need to get started
- Register your client for free as a Home Care Heroes member: https://www.homecareheroes.com.au/care_seekers/onboardings/new
- Create a Mission Post that's titled "Technology Skills & Be Connected".
- Choose & Connect with a Hero via the message page on Home Care Heroes and let them know that you'd like them to help you get started with the Be Connected program.
- Agree on a time, date and location for the booking. We'd recommend a 3 hour booking either at home or your local library. Book in with your Hero.
- During the first booking, have the Hero help you register for Be Connected lessons. You can do that using this link: https://beconnected.esafety.gov.au/login/signup.php?
- Be sure to choose Home Care Heroes as the Name of support centre when registering.
What topics can my Hero help my client with throughout the program?
- The absolute basicsThis course will teach you the absolute essentials of using your device, whether it is a desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
- Getting to know your deviceThis course will teach you the basic functions of a keyboard, a mouse and a computer, including how to change settings and manage your files.
- Getting started onlineNavigating the online world can be a little tricky at first, but this course will teach you some essential skills to getting started online.
- Safety firstThis course will teach you the essential skills to stay safe online, as well as the why and how of safe passwords, paying for goods safely online, some tips to avoid scams, and how to download and save safely from the internet.
- More online skillsIn this course, you will learn how to shop safely online and how to connect with friends and family using social networks. You will also learn about how to use a digital camera and how to watch TV or listen to music online.
- Online hobbiesThis topic has courses on some of the fun hobbies you can do online. You can learn how to become your family’s ancestry champion in our first course, Researching family history. We also have courses on the amazing world of Google Earth, Google Voyager and Google Arts & Culture, to whisk you away on a tour of the globe from the comfort of your own living room. Finally, we have a course on how to write your first blog (short for web log, or online journal), to enable you to share your hobbies and interests with friends, family and the community at large.
Have Questions About Be Connected & Home Care Heroes?
Don't hesitate to get in touch with our team at Hero HQ if you have any questions about the Be Connected initiative. Or, If you're struggling to find a local hero to help your client with the program we're more than happy to help out. Simply email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: "Be Connected Program Help".